Hambledon Primary School intends to provide a well-rounded, challenging and stimulating education that will benefit all and allow children to achieve their potential through the highest standards of teaching and learning.
We follow Government statutory guidance through a creative approach in a way that is enjoyable as well as being informative and educational. Our aim is to engage and inspire every child. Educational visits and visitors to school enable us to provide real opportunities to reinforce learning, widen horizons, develop new skills and engage in new experiences.
Our Curriculum Intentions
Early Years Foundation Stage (4-5 yrs) Curriculum
Each area of the Foundation Stage curriculum has equal weighting and children are given opportunities to develop skills and knowledge in all of these areas through a wide range of activities and play. Through careful observation and assessment staff are able to move children on in their learning and to also encourage them to participate in identifying the next steps for their learning.
Learning opportunities are developed through:
- Play which is structured at times to enable new skills to develop.
- Children’s’ interests noted by staff and suggestions from parents.
- Allowing children to make their own decisions and choices.
- Providing a range of stimulating resources that children are encouraged to explore freely and through direction from staff.
- Incorporating drama and role-play into sessions.
- Catering for different learning styles and needs
- Offering very high quality pastoral care so that children feel confident, valued and secure.
Key Stage 1 (5-7 yrs) and Key Stage 2 (7-11 yrs) Curriculum
We want children to enjoy learning through involvement in a meaningful, purposeful and relevant curriculum that develops lively, enquiring minds and gives children skills for life.
The National Curriculum is used to guide and support teaching and learning at the school.
The National Curriculum includes:
English, Mathematics and Science
The Foundation Subjects
Art & Design, Computing, Design & Technology, Geography, History, Music, Physical Education, Religious Education and a Modern Foreign Langauge (KS2 only)
Careful planning ensures that these subjects are matched with the age, ability and experience of each child. Computing is used throughout the curriculum, both as a teaching resource and as a tool for recording, collecting and sorting information.
We aim to ensure that all pupils:
- Have equality of opportunity through the encouragement of positive self-esteem and the provision of an appropriate and differentiated curriculum
- Learn through an active curriculum with involvement in practical and meaningful activities
- Are encouraged to think for themselves and become increasingly independent and responsible for their own learning
- Have opportunities to cooperate and work with others as well as by themselves
- Develop an understanding of and sensitivity to the rights, responsibilities and respect of others as well as themselves
- Experience a curriculum which is differentiated, with continuity and progression maintained as they pass through the school.
- Engage in a curriculum which is linked across subjects, as and when appropriate, through year group and whole school theme.
- Have work monitored, highlighting their progress and achievements throughout their time at our school and that this is regularly reported to parents.
If Parents have any other questions about the curriculum at Hambledon Primary School further information can be sought from their child's teacher.
Reading Scheme - Oxford Reading Tree
Phonics scheme - Letters and Sounds